Sean is a Tax Partner within BDO Northern Ireland. He joined the firm in 1993 and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1995 and as a Chartered Tax Adviser in 1997, when he was awarded the Spofforth Medal in recognition of achieving first place in the UK in the Capital Taxes and Trusts paper. Sean is the past Chairman of the Northern Ireland Branch of Chartered Institute of Taxation.
With over 20 years of experience, Sean has a wide and varied knowledge of most taxes, and in particular advises on
- corporate tax matters including group tax planning and corporate debt issues;
- merger and acquisition transactions;
- business sales including succession planning;
- business incorporations;
- remuneration planning; and
- property taxation.
He regularly advises clients on the buying and selling of companies and in particular advises on
- structuring sales and acquisitions to optimize tax efficiency for relevant parties;
- overseeing the tax due diligence process to identify both areas of opportunity and items of concern; and
- liaising with legal advisers on tax matters during the process.
Sean’s recent projects have included
- Tax advice and planning on group restructuring to facilitate new streamlined structure to match commercial growth objectives of large international group;
- Tax due diligence work for international investment fund on potential acquisitions in healthcare and logistics sectors;
- Advising on succession planning issues for large family owned business with view to ensuring Entrepreneurs’ Relief available on shareholder exit;
- Advising on UK tax issues for large international group with UK business interests including potential issues for UK tax resident shareholders from sale of UK property; and
- Advising on large debt restructuring project to minimise risk of dry tax charge and preserve availability of tax losses.